Monday, April 28, 2014

Marc Davis at the Walt Disney Family Museum


I am off to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco for the opening of the Marc Davis exhibit, Leading Ladies and Femmes Fatales: The Art of Marc Davis.
Marc’s expertise in developing and animating female characters will be the theme of this this show:


The photo montage above is a book cover design that I came up with while still at the studio, when I was exploring the idea of doing a single book on each of the Nine Old Men.

I encourage everyone to visit the fabulous museum and see Marc’s original art up close.
The exhibit covers his incredible talent as an animator, as a  designer of iconic Disney theme park rides and as a modern fine artist. 

As I mentioned before, the wonderful Mary Blair exhibit is still ongoing as well, so now is the perfect time to to see the work of both artists.
Here are a few reminders that demonstrate Marc Davis’s talents as an animator of female characters.







A photo from the early 1990s at Marc’s and Alice’s home. Wonderful times!


9 comments:

  1. Andreas, I'm so excited to see this exhibit. Hope you have a great time there and hope you include your adventures in this phenomenal blog of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous work. He was really something else. In interviews, Marc Davis always seemed very happy and satisfied about the work he had done and the work that your generation was doing. Are you still considering doing those books? This blog is a great 'book' itself, and I imagine you don't have as much image licensing problems with this format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marc, you really should consider doing a tribute to each of "The Nine Old Men".The flip books that came out are nice to have in a collection, but seeing and reading more about them individually will be greatly appreciated too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I meant that this blog is a great replacement for books!

      Delete
    2. My mistake, but i do think he would have more leeway than Amid did when he tried doing the Kimball book last year.

      Delete
  4. How exciting! I wish I could come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just there today! I couldn't help but wonder if you were still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Andreas, but can you please fix the Tinkerbell image for me? It's thrown askew.

    -Paul Christoforos
    -paul329869@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this, Paul:
      http://37.media.tumblr.com/305366cff5c06827f52023ec7283bce8/tumblr_mgzo5nwknS1qjsrnco1_500.jpg

      Delete